CARLSBAD, Calif., Dec. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- With the launch of JetBlue Fly-Fi in-flight Wi-Fi service, ViaSat Inc. (Nasdaq:VSAT) has shown that its high-capacity Ka-band system is delivering the high-speed in-flight experience the company has promised. The innovative service is designed to deliver high-quality Internet that meets high passenger demand for connectivity, eclipsing the service quality and speeds of other in-cabin airline services that can serve only a small number of passengers at low speeds.
The more favorable economics of the ViaSat high-capacity satellite service enable airlines to provision a high-speed service level to each passenger, rather than simply an aggregate amount of bandwidth to the plane that leaves passengers competing for service. The system – including a LiveTV portal, aircraft Wi-Fi system, and integration for JetBlue – is capable of delivering 12 Mbps or more to each connected passenger. The satellite-based system, branded Exede ® In The Air, can also operate on the ground, enabling airlines to take advantage of the recent FAA ruling allowing passengers to use their personal electronic devices at all stages of flight, with gate-to-gate Wi-Fi connections.
"There's a simple reason why air travelers haven't had access to fast broadband: Legacy technologies don't enable a sufficient amount of bandwidth delivery to the plane at a cost that makes sense for airlines or consumers," said Don Buchman, ViaSat director of mobile broadband. "Exede® in the Air changes the game and we think passengers are really going to enjoy a fast online experience that's more like what they get at their home or office for in-flight email, web browsing, social media, and other common Internet activities. We want to thank our partners JetBlue and LiveTV for driving this first opportunity to deliver our transformational Internet service to air travelers."Building on over 1000 flight hours conducted with JetBlue and LiveTV, the Exede In The Air technology is performing as designed:
- Meeting technical challenge of transparent transitioning between Ka-band spot beams within the ViaSat-1 footprint while keeping passengers connected.
- Connection speeds of 12 Mbps and more verified through online speed test, for fast, responsive web browsing, email, and social media updates.
- Sustaining speeds with 50-70 personal devices connected simultaneously per flight (much higher than typical 3-10% take rate, even when passengers were not expecting any connectivity) with total data consumption in-line with expectations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV