SUNNYVALE, Calif., Dec. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Trimble (NASDAQ: TRMB) announced today that it has acquired the assets of privately-held C3 of Madison, Wis. The acquisition will enable Trimble to provide unique soil information as well as decision recommendations to farmers' trusted advisors—such as agronomists, Trimble resellers or Ag retail suppliers. Farmers will be able to view the C3 data and recommendations from their trusted advisor on the Connected Farm™ dashboard, a Web portal that provides one centralized location for farmers to view key information impacting their operations. To align with Trimble's brand agnostic strategy, the data can be applied to all manufacturer equipment types. Financial terms were not disclosed.
C3 combines crop information with detailed soil data to enable a more complete assessment of the site-related factors that impact crop yield, quality and health. The C3 Soil Information System™ (SIS) solution is a collection of innovative tools and techniques for digital, 3-D mapping of soil characteristics—analyzing 120 unique soil and topographic properties. With SIS, it's now possible to precisely map the top four feet of the earth's surface using above and below ground sensors combined with GPS. The data is processed with a series of algorithms resulting in more than 60 precise 3-D soil models for physical and chemical soil characteristics including root zone depth, soil texture, plant available water, compaction depth and severity, macro and micro nutrient levels, soil nutrient holding capacity, and salt and toxicity concentrations.
"With the combination of C3 technologies, the Connected Farm and Trimble's recent acquisitions of RainWave and IQ Irrigation, Trimble is able to provide a farmer's trusted advisor with a unique toolset," said Joe Denniston, vice president for Trimble's Agriculture Division. "For example, they will now have access to detailed soil analysis, rainfall totals, precise irrigation amounts, as-applied seed and fertilizer rates, weather forecast and decision recommendations, enabling them to provide better answers to their clients, and leading to more precise farming. This can result in input savings, increased yield, and environmental benefits such as reduced nitrogen leaching into waterways as a result of more precise irrigation plans and input applications."
"Trimble's acquisition of C3 brings leading-edge technologies to Ag service providers worldwide," said Dan Rooney, CEO and founder of C3. "Improving agricultural productivity through smarter management is essential to meeting future food demands, and we believe that C3 technologies will be an important part of the Trimble solutions that help address the challenge."SIS enables farmers to:
- Improve crop quality by assessing the variability within a field and treating different zones according to their unique needs
- Increase output from sub-par field areas by revealing the factors that are limiting yield, which enables the farmer to design a strategy to bring all field areas to maximum growing capacity
- Optimize the use of water, fertilizer and soil amendments by targeting applications
- Design, prepare and manage fields in a way that optimizes productivity
- Implement more sustainable farming methods by incorporating tools to conserve natural resources, reduce chemical inputs and restore native fertility
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV