5 Ways the Holidays Can Help You Get a Job
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Even though this time of year may inspire more interest in holiday shopping and decorating than job hunting, experts say the holiday season is an excellent time to get hired or at least get on the right company's nice list. Take a look at the top five reasons the holidays can be particularly lucrative time for job-seekers and the best ways to get your application in before New Years Eve.
1. Holiday parties
The holiday season offers plenty of opportunities to connect with people in person -- holiday parties, volunteer programs, recognition events and more, says Paul McDonald, senior executive director at Robert Half. Take advantage of these opportunities to step away from your computer and connect with people face to face.
No matter the role you're seeking, Christy Palfy, a recruiting manager at Progressive Insurance, says to let people know you're looking -- even friends and family.There will be plenty of get-togethers that offer a great opportunity to introduce yourself and make it known you're looking, Palfy says. Even if you're partying with people in differing industries, don't be afraid to make your desires known. You should still mention it, Palfy says. You never know who people may know, and you may find out there are roles open you never even knew existed. Also, don't restrict your networking to professional or industry events, McDonald says. Your best leads may come from non-work gatherings such as your children's school event or your neighbor's holiday party. Remember that people tend to be more willing to help those they've met in person, so make the effort to connect live, he says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV