ADVISORY, Dec. 11, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Last week's report on November's U.S. Non-farm Payrolls beat expectations, giving U.S. stocks a short-term boost during the first week of December; however, stocks have given back most of their gains this week. The November unemployment rate dropped to its lowest level since 2008 at 7.0%. The ongoing debate about Fed tapering expectations continues to dominate conversations, but does not appear to be driving stocks in any particular direction.
"Investors are no longer wondering if the Fed will taper, it's now a matter of when," said David Gedeon, Managing Director of NASDAQ OMX Global Information Services. "The recent upbeat jobs report might give Fed officials more confidence that the markets are ready for tapering to begin."
|TOP INDEX MOVERS LAST 5 TRADING DAYS ( + / - )|
|EQUITY INDEXES:||12/4/13 - 1 2/10/13|
|NASDAQ EM EUROPE INDEX (NQEMEUR)||+2.58%|
|NASDAQ INTERNET INDEX (QNET)||+2.51%|
|NASDAQ-100 TECHNOLOGY SECTOR INDEX (NDXT)||+1.67%|
|PHLX HOUSING SECTOR INDEX (HGX)||+1.36%|
|NASDAQ CHINA INDEX (NQCN)||-1.32%|
|COMMODITY INDEXES:||12/4/13 - 12/10/13|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY NATURAL GAS INDEX ER (NQCINGER)||+6.51%|
|PHLX GOLD/SILVER SECTOR INDEX (XAU)||+6.08%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY PRECIOUS METALS ER INDEX (NQCIPMER)||+3.81%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY INDUSTRIAL METALS ER INDEX (NQCIIMER)||+3.35%|
|NASDAQ COMMODITY BRENT CRUDE INDEX ER (NQCICBER)||-2.70%|
INDEX MOVES THIS WEEK
- NASDAQ EM Europe Index (NQEMEUR) was up 2.58% in the past five days on better data coming out of the U.S. market.
- The Nasdaq Commodity Natural Gas Index (NQCINGER) climbed 6.51% to its highest level in the past six months, fueled by higher-than-normal demand for heating in homes.
- Silver and gold prices spiked higher on Tuesday helped by a pullback in the dollar and more speculation surrounding Fed stimulus policy. The PHLX Gold/Silver Sector Index (XAU) advanced 6.08% over the previous five trading days.
CONTACT: MEDIA CONTACTS: Nick Lawler Intermarket Communications (212) 754-5613 email@example.com Nora Sabry Intermarket Communications (212) 754-5468 firstname.lastname@example.org Wayne Lee NASDAQ OMX (301) 978-4875 Wayne.email@example.com
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts