"It's in the midst of a major major restructuring of every aspect of its company because it grew too fast and didn't build the infrastructure necessary to keep up with that growth," Bove said, in a phone interview Wednesday.
He argues the bank was able to hide those costs because of the mortgage refinancing boom.
However, "the government is on their back big time -- both with the violation of the Bank Secrecy Act and the anti-money laundering laws. So I think their earnings are going to be disappointing. I don't think they're ever going to conclude their merger with Hudson City (HCBK) and I think their stock is substantially overpriced," Bove says.M&T struck a deal to acquire Hudson City in 2012 for $3.7 billion but the deal had been bedeviled by compliance issues. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV