BIRMINGHAM, Ala., Dec. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The BBVA Compass Foundation donated toys to more than 250 students today at the Bertram A. Hudson K-8 School as part of its new program, Project Blue Elf, which provides toys to children in need across the bank's footprint.
The program is one component of a seasonal initiative that integrates donations from the BBVA Compass Foundation with local bank volunteer activities. During the event at the school in Birmingham's historic Collegeville neighborhood, 40 bank volunteers helped students in grades pre-K through second decorate holiday cookies and distributed age-appropriate toys that included dolls, puzzles and games.
"Project Blue Elf was created to bring happiness and brighten the lives of children, and to help out both the public schools and nonprofit organizations who serve kids in low‐income neighborhoods," said BBVA Compass Corporate Responsibility and Reputation Director Reymundo Ocanas. "With nearly 45 percent of U.S. children in low‐income families, there is a great need to provide support to ensure their success and integration into the community."
The program kicked off on Nov. 20 in Laredo, Texas, and similar events will be held in Dallas on Dec. 16, Phoenix on Dec. 18, and Houston and New York on Dec. 19."It was great to see the look on the kids' faces when they got their gifts, and to see how much fun they were having," said BBVA Compass Birmingham City President Alan Register. "The program aims to bring happiness, hope and a better future for children." To join in the Project Blue Elf initiative, people can share the online version of the bank's holiday card at bbvacompass.com/happyholidays. The program follows the bank's 2012 holiday initiative, Mission to Feed a Million, which benefited food banks. About BBVA Group
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV