Spotify is now offering "freemium" access to its streaming services on Apple
(AAPL) iOS devices as well as Google's
(GOOG) Android smartphones and tablets. For now, tablets will offer the better option as they provide the same freemium experience that Spotify users get from their desktop units.
On smartphones, Spotify is offering a Shuffle service, similar to what is already out there, with Pandora, iTunes Radio and others, but you can listen to artist specific content, as opposed to artist-like content.
Both the tablet experience and the smartphone experience will include ads.
Meanwhile, TheStreet's Rocco Pendola is arguing that since Spotify's new services are already available by other providers, including Rdio and iTunes Radio, the announcement doesn't alter the streaming sector landscape.
P data by YCharts
--Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York>Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV