Finally, Trulia predicts that rental demand will shift from single-family rentals to urban rentals. With investor activity slowing, coupled with the fact that fewer homes are going into foreclosure, the supply of single-family rentals should cool. Meanwhile, young adults who move out of their parents homes to form new households are more likely to choose urban, apartment-style rentals and multi-family construction is much higher.
"The shift in rental activity from suburban single-family to urban apartments would be yet another sign of housing recovery," noted Kolko. That would mean that household formation, which is still well below its pre-bubble normal, is recovering. Household formation is one of the biggest underlying drivers of housing demand.
Trulia also released its top 10 markets to watch, with Bethesda- Rockville- Frederick, MD, Charlotte NC-SC and Denver, CO topping the list.
Read what Zillow has to say about the 2014 market for housing.
-- Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York.Follow @shavenk
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV