While there is undoubtedly significant "value" within this group, you'll be hard pressed to find any value investors on financial media pitching these names. The reason for that goes back to the idea of herding. How many portfolio managers today would be willing to incur the ridicule of their investors and career risk by showing a significant position in junior gold miners or Indian small caps? Again, few if any -- which is why true value investors are hard to come by.
As we are fast approaching the end of the year, at the very least this is food for thought. If history is any guide, the best investments over the past three years are unlikely to be the best investments over the next three years or even in 2014. Don't be surprised if one year from now some of the most hated investments of today are suddenly back in vogue.
Best Performing Equity Themes (ETFs) over the Past Three Years:
- Biotechnology (BBH): +165%.
- Small-Cap Health Care (PSCH): +107%
- Pharmaceuticals (XPH): +100%.
- Homebuilders (XHB): +92%.
- Retailers (XRT): +88%
- Media (PBS): +84%.
- Ireland (EIRL): +83%
- Consumer Discretionary (XLY): +82%
- Aerospace & Defense (ITA): +82%
- Internet (PNQI): +80%.
Worst Performing Equity Themes (ETFs) over the Past Three Years:
- Junior Gold Miners (GDXJ): -79%
- Gold Miners (GDX): -65%
- Global Platinum (PLTM): -62%
- India Small-Caps (SCIF): -60%
- Silver Miners (SIL): -56%
- Solar Energy (KWT): -54%
- Rare Earth/Strategic Metals (REMX): -52%
- Copper Miners (COPX): -46%
- China Materials (CHIM): -46%
- Brazil Small-Caps (BRF): -38%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV