BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Hedge fund managers are agitated right now. With the S&P 500 up more than 26% since the first trading day in January, hedge funds are being compared against a pretty high barrier.
And with only two weeks and change left in December, there isn't a lot of time left to play catch-up before the books close for year-end. That makes the stocks that hedge funds love right now pretty interesting -- and it makes the ones they hate even more interesting.
In my view, the performance gap means that a lot of the names fund managers are throwing away are quality stocks that they know won't close the gap on the market. But with hundreds of billions of dollars coming out of quality to chase higher-risk stocks this month, it could mean that there are some bargains in the names the pros hate.Luckily for us, we can get a glimpse at exactly which stocks top hedge funds' hate lists by looking at 13F statements. Institutional investors with more than $100 million in assets are required to file a 13F, a form that breaks down their stock positions for public consumption. >>Sell These 5 Toxic Stocks to Avoid a Christmas Crash From hedge funds to mutual funds to insurance companies, any professional investors who manage more than that $100 million watermark are required to file a 13F. All told, 874 hedge funds filed the form for the most recent quarter, so by comparing one period's filing to another, we can get a sneak peek at how early filers are moving their portfolios around. Without further ado, here's a look at five stocks fund managers hate.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV