BOSTON, Dec. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Samuel Adams Brewing the American Dream, a microlending and mentoring program for food, beverage, craft beer, and hospitality small businesses, announced that Brewla Bars has won the program's 2013 national Pitch Room competition. Founded by siblings Daniel and Rebecca Dengrove, Brewla Bars are healthy, popsicle-like treats based on brewed ingredients such as tea, root beer and coffee.
The Pitch Room competition, introduced this year as a new component of the Brewing the American Dream program, helps small business owners perfect the art of the sales pitch and is another way the program is extending its focus on coaching and mentoring.
On Monday, six finalists from regional Pitch Room competitions across the country traveled to the Samuel Adams Boston Brewery to present their best two-minute sales pitch before a panel of business experts and retail buyers. The judges provided feedback and advice to each participant before ultimately selecting Brewla Bars as the national Pitch Room winner. They evaluated each business and pitch using specific criteria, including quality, creativity, passion, and product viability.
The final competition panel of judges included:
- Jim Koch, brewer and founder, Samuel Adams
- Sandy Block, vice president of beverage operations, Legal Sea Foods
- Gina Harman, president and CEO, Accion U.S. Network
- Amy Latimer, president of the TD Garden, Delaware North Companies
- Todd Merry, chief marketing officer, Delaware North Companies
- Ron Lundy, manager of a large national drug store chain
- San Francisco winner Cole Meeker, Sea of Change Trading Company
- Denver winner Linda Torres-Winters, Lindita's Salsa
- Boston winner Michael Fairbrother, Moonlight Meadery
- Boston runner-up Robin Cohen, Doves and Figs
- New York winners Daniel and Rebecca Dengrove, Brewla Bars
- New York runners-up Catherine Oddenino and Ruthie Vishlitzky, Luca & Bosco