The Best Biotech CEO of 2013 is Bob Hugin of Celgene (CELG).
In an incredibly strong year for all the big-cap biotech stocks, Hugin steered Celgene to the top of the heap. The multiple myeloma drug Revlimid remains Celgene's most important profit driver, but the company did well to diversify in 2013. Pomalyst, Abraxane and apremilast were all big winners for the company this year. Under Hugin's direction, Celgene also signed a large number of drug development partnerships for early-stage compounds which makes the company a player in emerging technologies.
Congratulations, Bob, for a fantastic year and well-deserved recognition as the Best Biotech CEO of 2013.
Hugin won with 41% of 1,078 votes cast. For his victory, Hugin takes home the Swanson Trophy, named in honor of Robert Swanson, Genentech's founding CEO.The runner-up this year was John Higgins of Ligand Pharmaceuticals (LGND) with 25% of votes cast. Francois Nader of NPS Pharmaceuticals (NPSP) finished in third place with 11% of the vote, followed closely by Lamberto Andreotti of Bristol-Myers Squibb (BMY) and Onyx Pharmaceuticals' (now a part of Amgen (AMGN)) Tony Coles. Congratulation to all of this year's Best Biotech CEO nominees, and thanks to everyone who participated in the voting process. -- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston. Follow Adam Feuerstein on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV