The Financial Times and Citi are pleased to announce that Sanergy has been named the global winner of the 2013 FT/Citi Ingenuity Awards: Urban Ideas in Action programme. The Nairobi based non-profit organisation was selected by a distinguished panel of judges, including last year’s winner, for developing a sustainable and hygienic sanitation system that recycles human waste to generate electricity and fertilizer for local farmers.
Regional winners were also recognised for their work in fuelling urban progress:
- Africa & Middle East: Sanergy, Nairobi
- Asia-Pacific: Parinaam Foundation, Bangalore
- Europe: 3Space, London
- Latin America: Fundación Calicanto, Panama City
- North America & Caribbean: SeeClickFix, New Haven, Connecticut
The global awards programme, sponsored by Citi and in collaboration with INSEAD, was created to recognise the most innovative and ground-breaking solutions to urban challenges. The awards were presented last night in New York by Financial Times’ US managing editor Martin Dickson and Ed Skyler, executive vice president, global public affairs, Citi.
“We are excited to be recognising organisations from around the world, both large and small, for their incredible work tackling some of society’s greatest environmental, social and economic challenges,” said Martin Dickson. “Now in its second year, this important award continues to shed light on the tremendous issues cities face in their efforts to thrive and house an increasing number of people.”"We congratulate all the winners and finalists for developing solutions to urban challenges that are innovative and replicable," said Ed Skyler. “In the face of rapid global urbanization, their ingenuity and leadership is critical. They are true progress makers with whom we share a commitment to help cities thrive and grow." Submissions were received from 44 countries and judges selected the winners based on the most innovative solutions enabling urban progress across city administration, transport systems, energy and utilities, education and resource management, housing, health, social services, mobile technologies, community engagement and collaboration platforms.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV