Pennsylvania American Water announced today the winners of its “Community Investment Challenge,” a contest where voters on the company’s Facebook page ( www.facebook.com/pennsylvaniaamwater) determined grant awards to support environmental projects and community improvement programs. In all, 17 organizations from across the commonwealth entered projects in the contest, and Facebook users were able to vote once each day between November 8 and December 8 for their favorite projects.
After a total of 2,689 votes were cast during the month-long contest, the top three winners are:
- First place (737 votes): Downtown Scranton Spring Planter Beautification Project will receive a $1,000 grant for cleaning up debris and planting flowers and bushes throughout the planters in Scranton’s Main Street district. The University of Scranton’s Office of Community Relations and student government is partnering with Scranton Tomorrow and Penn State Master Gardeners in Lackawanna County to extend its annual spring “Street Sweep” neighborhood clean-up event into downtown Scranton.
- Second place (695 votes): Derry Township Environmental Action Committee will receive a $700 grant for its Rain Barrel Workshop, where attendees can purchase high-quality rain barrels at a reduced cost and learn about stormwater runoff and water conservation.
- Third place (247 votes): Mt. Lebanon Environmental Sustainability Board will receive a $300 grant for its Energy Camels Project to reward residents who make documented progress in energy or water conservation. Energy Camels, when placed in residents' front yards, are designed to engage the community by making behavior change "fun" through education about conservation.
“We are excited and honored to earn first place in Pennsylvania American Water’s Community Investment Challenge,” said Julie Schumacher Cohen, director of Community and Government Relations at The University of Scranton. “This grant will make a significant impact in helping to beautify downtown Scranton, thanks to Pennsylvania American Water’s generosity and the support of our Facebook community.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV