James Dennin, Kapitall: We decided to run a screen on dividend stocks, looking for mid cap stocks with yields above 5%.
Among all the talk of large caps vs. small caps, bull markets vs. bear, stock screens often leave out companies that are comfortably in the middle.
Mid cap stocks range in market capitalization between $2 and $10 billion in size, and can sometimes provide some of the security that comes with investing in larger companies, as well as growth prospects of smaller ones.
Read more from Kapitall: American Airlines and US Airways to Merge: Airline Stocks to WatchOne such company might be Corrections Corporation of America (CXW). Like all of the stocks in our screen, Corrections Corp. offers a robust dividend yield of 5.76%. The company also has a relatively low valuation, with a forward price to equity ratio of only 14. Slight upticks in insider buying indicate that this company might have room to grow in 2014, or lucrative projects in the pipeline. One of the top performing entertainment stocks of the year also happens to have one of the highest dividend yields in the sector as well. Cedar Fair (FUN)'s trailing-12-month earnings per share was $2.12, following only Priceline (PCLN) and Six Flags (SIX). Another interesting company to consider is not one you'd expect: the printing company R.R Donnelley & Sons (RRD). With a clientele that includes 95% of the Fortune 500, and diversified services in printing, logistics, and outsourcing (among others), the company's future, and ability to pay out future dividends, seems relatively assured. R.R Donnelley's valuation is pretty low, with a forward P/E of 12. However it's dividend yield is quite high at 5.62%, and the stock is up over 100% for the year. Some analysts believe the trend will continue. What do you think?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV