We are going to make this short and sweet: The ranges are going to get smaller and the volumes are going to drop over the next few weeks. Maybe during next week's two-day Fed meeting we see a pickup, but with the DEC roll in full swing, it's our guess most of the volume will come from the spreads. After the roll there will be an even bigger withdrawal from trading as we enter the Christmas holiday and New Years. Most of the big banks and hedge funds have already shut down for the year. What they do not want is a big selloff at year end. Do you know why? Because of their year-end bonuses, thats why.
In Asia 11 out of 11 markets closed lower and Europe is trading modestly higher. Its hard to get excited about the markets right now; they are too high to buy and too firm to sell. It's possible the selling we are seeing on the close every day continues right into the end of the year. That said, the S&P acts tired. Based on the volumes it also doesn't look like many people are trading. Our view is to sell the early rally and buy weakness. It is looking like the algos are targeting the sell stops under 1801.
As always, use stops and keep an eye on the 10-handle rule. Don't forget to catch MrTopStep on The Closing Print video found under the OptionsTV page (top bar). We report directly from the SPX pits, wrapping up the day and positioning for trade tomorrow.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits
MrTopStep can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/MrTopStep
For LIVE futures chat, more information on the 10-handle rule and futures educational content CLICK HERE FOR A SEVEN-DAY FREE TRIAL.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV