Jawbone, Fitbit, or Both, Get Acquired
Going back to the wearable technology space, Fitbit and Jawbone are two of the more prevalent names in the industry, with the Fitbit Flex Wireless Activity + Sleep Wristband among the most popular items on Amazon. Jawbone also has a wristband device of its own, Jawbone UP.
Both of these devices track how you sleep and your activity, such as steps taken and calories burned. Via apps to your iPhone, you can upload what you eat and drink, while tracking your nutritional information right from your smartphone.
In August, Fitbit, raised $43 million in new venture capital funding, with Softbank Capital leading the round. Not to be outdone, Jawbone raised more than $100 million in September, in a combination of debt and equity financing. Both of these companies will need exit strategies for their venture capital investors, and given Apple's eventual entrance into the space, an acquisition for one of the two looks increasingly likely.
Potential buyers include Nike (NKE), which already makes the Nike Fuelband, a similar product. Under Armour (UA) is also another potential acquirer, having recently started to up its investment in the technology space, acquiring MapMyFitness for $150 million last month.
Of the two companies, I believe Jawbone is more likely to get acquired than Fitbit, given that Yahoo! (YHOO) CEO Marissa Mayer is on the company's board, and we all know that Marissa loves a good acquisition. Or several.
Earlier this year, TheStreet visited Fitbit's San Francisco-based offices to talk wearable tech and what's to come.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV