Apple iWatch Launch
I'm pretty confident that this one will happen, perhaps as soon as March of this year. Apple CEO Timothy D. Cook has previously said Apple is moving into new product categories, and has hinted that the wrist is an interesting space for wearable technology. "The wrist is interesting," Apple's CEO said during a tech conference earlier this year. "You still have to convince people it is worth wearing."
The company has reportedly been ramping up production on its iWatch team, as it looks to compete with the likes of Google (GOOG) Nike (NKE) and others in the space, and rightfully so. Many believe the sensor field will explode this year from a product and revenue standpoint, and Apple is poised to benefit, according to Rich Tehrani, chairman of the Wearable Technology Conference.
"Apple's entry into the smartwatch space will take the smartwatch from its current 'geek technology' focus into the mainstream markets," Tehrani said in an emailed statement earlier this year. "The likes of Fossil and Swatch have nothing to be concerned with so long as Sony and Pebble are the industry smartwatch leaders. Once Apple gets into the game, the smartwatch will become mainstream and will, in fact, directly target the Fossil and Swatch customer base. Apple intimately understands that the wrist is about fashion, not about technology."
Earlier this year, Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty wrote that a smart watch from Apple could be worth as much as $10 billion to $15 billion in annual revenue for the consumer tech giant, assuming a $200 price point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV