Joy Global Inc. (NYSE: JOY), a worldwide leader in high-productivity mining solutions, today reported fourth quarter and fiscal 2013 results.
Fourth Quarter Highlights
- Bookings down 19 percent from a year ago to $1.1 billion; Sales down 26 percent to $1.2 billion
- Earnings per diluted share at $0.25; Adjusted earnings per diluted share at $1.11 down 47 percent from a year ago
- Adjusted earnings exclude a $155 million pretax non-cash intangible asset impairment charge associated with the Joy Global branding initiative and a $10 million net pretax gain from other unusual items
- Cash from operations of $195 million, down 7 percent from a year ago
- Repurchased 4.1 million shares
Fourth Quarter and Full Year Operating Results
“This quarter once again demonstrates outstanding execution in a difficult market,” said Mike Sutherlin, President and Chief Executive Officer. “We were very encouraged by the sequential recovery of aftermarket orders. This puts us almost back to the levels of a year ago, even though some regions are still lagging. It was especially good to see the return of machine rebuilds to the U.S. underground business, which is an important step in the recovery of this market segment.“As lead times come down, the historical lumpiness has returned to our order rates. The third and fourth quarter bookings bound a range that we expect to continue in 2014. Although we booked a major longwall project this quarter as expected, there are fewer other projects moving forward which meet today’s stringent criteria of operating on the lower half of the global cost curve. “With a limited number of projects that can book in time to help 2014, we continue to see both the need and opportunity to lower the cost base in our business. Much of the costs we have taken out so far are structural reductions coming from our Operational Excellence program and One Joy Global initiative, and this will improve our leverage on market recovery. We have made substantial progress in streamlining our businesses and regions, and are now taking the next step of consolidating our surface and underground businesses and products under the Joy Global brand. Although the reduced value of the separate brands results in a non-cash charge, this is an important step that will continue to make us more efficient, responsive and competitive.”
|Bookings - (in millions)|
|October 25,||October 26,||%|
|Underground Mining Machinery||$||629.6||$||667.3||(5.7||)%|
|Surface Mining Equipment||475.1||694.5||(31.6||)%|
|Total Bookings by Segment||$||1,076.1||$||1,321.7||(18.6||)%|
|Total Bookings by Product||$||1,076.1||$||1,321.7||(18.6||)%|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV