Many people need to fit five people, not four -- and yet other people need to fit six, seven or eight people. GM makes great cars for that -- Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban and Traverse. Now put the Volt drivetrain in them!
2. Put an end to the otherwise endless talk about how the Tesla Model S is so different because it's all-electric and has 265 miles of range -- just make a GM car like that!
Not only GM but also other car companies continue to basically tell the world that they, too, could have made a Tesla Model S if they just thought there had been a market for it. Okay, now that we know that there was, prove it! GM should make a large hatchback sedan, with the battery placed into the floor, spend whatever it takes to give it 300+ miles of range, and sell it for the same price as Tesla. Why not?
3. Build your own charging stations!It may be economic insanity on a standalone basis but as an end-to-end product statement, including the marketing and long-term commitment, having your own DC chargers would be a good idea for GM. Think about it: If little Tesla can get so much publicity for deploying 50 to 100 to 500 DC chargers over a few years, why couldn't GM? If need be, GM could share the chargers with BMW, Nissan and others. That's one way to mitigate the cost. The variable right now is this: Has GM already been working on all of these things or would it begin right now? GM had better be deep into development of all of these aspects, well beyond the obvious Volt 2.0, or it will be in trouble come 2016-2017.
I assume work is well underway on a large family of models, architectures and body styles, and that within the next 12 to 18 months we will hear a lot more about GM's plans to take on Tesla with a lot more efforts in 2015 and beyond. At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @antonwahlman This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts