Chris Lau, Kapitall: Investing in oil and gas stocks might give your portfolio the energy boost it needs, but what's the best source?
Oil and gas stocks have brought in a decent return for investors in 2013. But one energy company that just can’t seem to shake off volatile press coverage is BP ( BP ). Does that mean it’s not worth a closer look?
Read more on Oil from Kapitall: Are Crude Oil Refining Stocks in a Sweet Spot for Energy Investors?
BP is still actively campaigning against abuses stemming from the settlements for the Gulf of Mexico oil spill in 2010. The company’s shares are already deeply undervalued, so as the cases against the company are reviewed, the cloud over BP could lift.Click on the interactive chart to see BP's share price over time. Sourced from Zacks Investment Research. Complaints in Gulf settlement BP took out an ad in many national newspapers complaining that a tax refund claim by an escort service to the IRS was refused. Conversely, the Gulf Settlement Program approved the claim for over $173,000. But payment by BP will be on hold after Judge Barbier suspended settlement payments to businesses. This might seem like a small claim when you consider that BP allocated roughly $42 billion to cover settlements related to the spill, and so far the company has already paid out over $20 billion. And that doesn’t even include the $4.5 billion in fines due to the US government related to the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Valuation So where does BP’s stock price fit in? The oil and gas stock dropped to $27.02 in June 2010 from a high near $60 a few months prior. In the last few weeks BP’s share price has hovered around the $47 range.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV