MasterCard Incorporated (NYSE:MA) today announced that its Board of Directors has approved several capital actions:
- A 10-for-1 stock split of the Company’s common stock to be effected through a stock dividend;
- An 83% increase in the Company’s quarterly cash dividend to $1.10 per share ($0.11 per share after the stock split); and
- A new share repurchase program authorizing the Company to repurchase up to $3.5 billion of its Class A common stock.
“Today’s actions reflect our ongoing commitment to deliver shareholder value as well as our confidence in the long-term growth and financial performance of our Company,” said Ajay Banga, president and chief executive officer, MasterCard.
The record date for the 10-for-1 stock split is the close of business on January 9, 2014, with share distribution scheduled for January 21, 2014. As a result of the split, shareholders will receive nine additional shares of MasterCard common stock for each share they hold as of the record date. Total shares of common stock outstanding will increase from approximately 120 million to 1.2 billion based on the Company’s share count as of December 5, 2013.
The higher quarterly dividend of $1.10 per share on a pre-split basis, up from $0.60 per share, is to be paid February 10, 2014 to shareholders of record as of January 9, 2014.The new share repurchase program will become effective at the completion of the company’s previously announced $2 billion share repurchase program. As of December 5, 2013, the Company had $514 million remaining under the current program authorization. Forward-Looking Statements Statements in this press release which are not historical facts, including statements about MasterCard's plans, strategies, beliefs and expectations, are forward-looking and subject to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date they are made. Accordingly, except for the company's ongoing obligations under the U.S. federal securities laws, the company does not intend to update or otherwise revise the forward-looking information to reflect actual results of operations, changes in financial condition, changes in estimates, expectations or assumptions, changes in general economic or industry conditions or other circumstances arising and/or existing since the preparation of this press release or to reflect the occurrence of any unanticipated events. Such forward-looking statements include, without limitation, statements relating to the Company’s long-term growth and financial performance and the manner and amount of purchases by MasterCard pursuant to its share repurchase program dependent upon price and market conditions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV