CHICAGO, Dec. 10, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Whether you're preparing a holiday dish or a holiday feast, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics encourages everyone to practice safe food handling and keep in mind the needs of those who may be vulnerable to food poisoning.
"While you should always practice safe food handling, some guests might be particularly vulnerable to food poisoning, such as older adults, pregnant women, young children and people with weakened immune systems," said Academy spokesperson Libby Mills. "This may also mean taking special precautions and keeping certain high-risk foods off the menu."
Celebrate a happy and healthy holiday season with a bit of preparation and tips from the Home Food Safety program – a collaboration between the Academy and ConAgra Foods.Who is Vulnerable? Food poisoning can affect anyone who eats food contaminated by bacteria, viruses, parasites, toxins or other substances, but certain groups of people are more susceptible to food poisoning and can be at far greater risk of developing serious illness with long-term effects or even death, including:
- Infants and young children
- Pregnant women and their unborn babies
- Older adults
- People with weakened immune systems and chronic illness, such as diabetes, kidney disease, those with HIV/AIDS and some cancer patients.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV