Motorola Solutions, Inc.
and BAI Canada are working together on a two-station installation of a shared Wi-Fi network using Motorola’s proven
wireless local area network
(WLAN) technology in Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) underground subway stations. The initial two-station network includes the St. George and Bloor & Yonge stations and will cover all public areas including platforms, mezzanines, walkways and stairwells. The deployment has the capability to support cellular connectivity, and the network will eventually cover TTC’s 65 current and planned underground subway stations, serving more than 1.7 million riders daily.
Motorola’s ruggedized outdoor wireless access points and controller running Wireless Next Generation (WiNG) technology were selected by BAI Canada based on Motorola’s leadership position in the transportation vertical, proven radio performance in harsh environments and global reach with local expertise. The Motorola WLAN solution for transit was chosen in part for its previous successful subway deployments around the world as well as the company’s recognized expertise providing reliable, high-speed wireless networks in underground and other demanding, rugged environments.
Brian Jacks, Chief Executive Officer, BAI Canada
- Motorola’s WLAN platform will allow transit riders access to real-time alerts, arrival and departure information, and transit updates from their personal wireless devices.
- The networks will also offer high-speed connectivity for the internet, social media, email and many web-based applications.
- BAI Canada is building the robust Wi-Fi and cellular distributed antenna system (DAS) within TTC’s two busiest stations, creating its TCONNECT Wi-Fi brand with high-speed internet connectivity.
- The fiber-optic lines installed for the two-station pilot alone equal three times the height of the 1,815-foot CN Tower in Toronto.
- The number of TTC riders that enter the busy Bloor & Yonge station each day could fill the 50,000-seat Rogers Center multi-purpose stadium in Toronto seven times over.
BAI Canada and Transit Wireless selected Motorola Solutions for its depth of expertise including helping governments and enterprises deliver their best in the moments that matter. We look forward to working with Motorola to deliver its leading WLAN solution to help provide high-speed Wi-Fi connectivity for Toronto Transit Commission customers.”
George Krausz, President, Motorola Solutions Canada
“Motorola Solutions is eager to work with BAI Canada to launch the initial two-station network and bring much-needed Wi-Fi to the third most heavily used urban mass-transit system in North America. The TTC is a transportation lifeline for Toronto, and Motorola has the expertise to provide it with the same reliable connectivity we have demonstrated with similar major transit deployments in the United States, Asia, Europe, Middle East and elsewhere.”