NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- In retailing, image is everything.
Defining your image then protecting that image is job one for any retailing chief executive. When a CEO's image runs counter to the brand's message, it's time for a realignment.
The short version for what Lululemon Athletica (LULU) has said in hiring a new CEO and announcing founder Dennis "Chip" Wilson will be leaving the company next year, is: Don't ANF me, bro!
ANF, in this case, is Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF), which this week doubled down on CEO Mike Jeffries despite a series of gaffes seen as insulting to the store's less-hot customers.Lululemon's image is not like that of Abercrombie & Fitch. If Abercrombie's image is of someone who is too cool for school, a young Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian, then Lululemon is a serene, together grown-up, more like Diane Lane or even Helen Mirren. Lululemon makes yoga wear. It rose to prominence as aging baby boomers started to find high-impact exercise too stressful for aging joints and decided a calmer, internally focused workout might be the thing to make our golden years more golden.
Lululemon had always kept its inventory as tight as its clothes, in order to sell them at full price. The quality control problems backed up into the stores, costing sales.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV