Gold for February delivery at the COMEX division of the New York Mercantile Exchange was popping $30.60 to $1,264.80 an ounce. The gold price traded as high as $1,267.50 and as low as $1,237.40 an ounce, while the spot price was adding $25.93.
"The market continues to bounce higher from the oversold positions of last week -- a week to the day we suggested that the market was well ahead of itself and taking a position," Peter Hug, global trading director at Kitco Metals, wrote Tuesday in a note to investors.
Tuesday's price move is similar to the surge gold posted Dec. 4 as a short-covering rally boosted the price by about $26 that day. Gold plummeted the following day as market participants shorted the market."The market is aggressively short, but the gold market has not confirmed a breakout," Hug wrote in Tuesday's note. Silver prices for March delivery were climbing 63 cents to $20.34 an ounce, while the U.S. dollar index was dropping 0.32% to $79.90. Gold mining stocks were mostly higher on Tuesday, in line with gold futures. AngloGold Ashanti (AU) was one of the top gainers in the space, soaring 7.3% to $13.03 a share. Barrick Gold (ABX) was gaining 5.9% to $16.94 Gold ETF SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) was up 2% to $122.06, while iShares Gold Trust (IAU) was increasing 2.1% to $12.28. -- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV