MoneyGram (NASDAQ:MGI), a leading global money transfer and payment services company, today announced the distribution of six grants through the MoneyGram Foundation. The foundation, launched in 2012, distributed its inaugural round of grants earlier this year for a total of 14 grants awarded to programs in 10 countries in 2013.
The MoneyGram Foundation selected the following six organizations for its second round of grants in 2013:
- One Laptop Per Child, to provide rugged, low-cost XO laptops to children in South Africa, launching the organization’s first project in the country. One Laptop Per Child has distributed more than 2.4 million laptops in 42 countries.
- TECHO, to provide two years of tutoring and volunteer transportation for families displaced by devastating earthquakes in Haiti and El Salvador.
- Mi Escuelita Preschools, to support after-school programs for non-English speaking preschoolers in Dallas, TX. Each year, 95% of children graduating from Mi Escuelita transition directly to English-speaking classrooms.
- Urban Ventures, to refurbish and provide supplies for an 8 th grade Learning Lab classroom. The Learning Lab provides year-round curriculum enhancement for at-risk youth in Minneapolis, MN.
- The Arab American Association of New York, to support a literacy program that helps non-English speaking children catch up and excel in New York City schools.
- Books for Asia, to supply 25,000 new books to 500 schools in the Philippines which will go directly to the areas affected by Typhoon Haiyan.
In addition to these grants, MoneyGram donated $50,000 to Doctors Without Borders to support immediate relief efforts related to Typhoon Haiyan and pledged an additional $50,000 through the foundation to rebuild schools in the Philippines. The foundation will support organizations assisting in the recovery of the affected areas in 2014.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts