The 3M Sensored Termination QX-Series Supports Applications Such As Volt/VAR Optimization (VVO), Fault Detection, Isolation And Restoration (FDIR), Asset Management And Load Balancing. Photo Credit: 3M
The 3M Electrical Markets Division, the innovators of cold shrink technology, introduces a new sensing solution that enables power utilities to monitor their underground distribution systems, helping utilities realize the benefits of their grid automation systems. The 3M™ Sensored Termination QX-Series supports applications such as volt/VAR optimization (VVO), fault detection, isolation and restoration (FDIR), asset management and load balancing.
The 3M Sensored Termination QX-Series supports applications such as volt/VAR optimization (VVO), fault detection, isolation and restoration (FDIR), asset management and load balancing. Photo credit: 3M
The ability to acquire accurate data from critical points throughout the underground medium voltage (MV) distribution network is a key requirement for enhancing the reliability and efficiency of the grid. The sensored termination is designed to provide highly accurate voltage and current data through simple retrofits of existing power equipment, such as switchgear and transformers. The termination provides data that can enable real-time monitoring and control and automation capabilities throughout the underground MV distribution network.
The sensored termination from 3M offers the following advantages:
- High accuracy: Provides a pathway to the conductor within the shielded cable, delivering accurate voltage and current waveforms in real time.
- Quick and easy installation: Compact, one-piece mechanical and electrical connection requires minimal downtime to install. Cold shrink technology allows simple, fast, reliable installation without the use of special tools, sealants, adhesives, torches or other heat sources.
- Factory calibration: The sensor is pre-calibrated and factory tested to ensure maximum reliability. No field calibration is required to maintain accuracy levels.
- Allows easy retrofits: Enhances current infrastructure by adding measurement functionality to existing power equipment.
The sensored termination is designed for indoor applications that utilize a livefront form factor. Customers can call (512) 984-5193 for more information or visit http://3M.com/sensoredaccessories.About 3M Electrical Markets DivisionSince the invention of vinyl electrical tape in 1946, 3M Electrical Markets Division has provided innovative, high quality solutions that support the construction and reliable operation of the world's electrical infrastructure. EMD has more than 60 years of experience serving customers with highly reliable products, including electrical insulating tapes; flexible insulation; low, medium and high voltage power cable splices and terminations; high capacity transmission conductor; heat shrinkable tubing and molded shapes; electrical supplies including wire connectors, terminals and cable ties; and wire marking and identification products. EMD products are found in transmission and distribution networks, in the electrical systems of industrial, commercial and residential structures and in electrical equipment, like motors and transformers. The division also offers products for protecting, assessing, and renewing the world's energy infrastructure, including powder and liquid coatings to protect oil and gas pipelines and other infrastructure and the rehabilitation of water pipes as well as locating and marking products. About 3M3M captures the spark of new ideas and transforms them into thousands of ingenious products. Our culture of creative collaboration inspires a never-ending stream of powerful technologies that make life better. 3M is the innovation company that never stops inventing. With $30 billion in sales, 3M employs 88,000 people worldwide and has operations in more than 70 countries. For more information, visit www.3M.com or follow @3MNews on Twitter. 3M is a trademark of 3M Company.All other trademarks listed herein are owned by their respective companies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV