- Never place lights closer than 10 feet to power lines and always be aware of power lines.
- Use wooden or fiberglass ladders when decorating outdoors. Metal ladders conduct electricity.
- Always inspect your ladder before using it to ensure that it is safe. If the ladder is damaged, buy a new one that is safe to use.
- Be sure electrical cords are not placed at an angle or position that pinches them, like in windows.
- Use plastic zip cords when hanging lights instead of staples, tacks or nails.
- Use no more than three strands of light per extension cord. Overloads can cause fires or lines to short circuit.
- Keep lights directly away from carpeting, furniture, drapes and other flammable materials.
- Use only decorations bearing the Underwriters Laboratories (UL), Canadian Standards Association (CSA) or Intertek (ETL) labels.
- Always unplug decorative lights when leaving home or before going to bed.
Give The Gift Of Safety During The Holidays
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts