The Market You Trade Is Not Random
NEW YORK (TheGoldAndOilGuy.com) -- The use of cycles is perhaps the most misunderstood area of technical analysis, and is widely misused within automated trading systems. This is because there are a wide variety of approaches ranging from magnetic to astrology to time-based cycles.
The purpose of this tutorial on cycle analysis and implementation into automated trading systems is to present a logical perspective on what cycles are and how they enhance your technical analysis studies.
Originally I was attracted to cycle analysis back in 2001. Back then, there was very little information about cycle analysis and even less on how to identify them within financial instruments. Cycles can be somewhat measured using conventional indicators such as RSI, stochastics and moving averages. But, better yet is a custom cycle analyzer indicator I created to make cycle identification and implementation automatic within my trading strategies and my fully automated trading system.
Here is how the moving average can help spot cycles but keep in mind they are lagging indicators. The lower indicator shows the long-term cycle and swing trading cycle I focus on. Remember, cycle lengths change over time, which is why I automated the indicator and have it run within my automated trading system. But you should get the gist of how cycles look and function.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV