NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Square, the popular mobile payments company, unveiled a thinner and more accurate card reader.
While it obviously takes a lot of engineering prowess to make the device, which is exceptionally small and 45% thinner than the previous model, the coolest thing about the announcement was the way the company made it, using Vine, which is owned by Twitter (TWTR).
Square, and in particular, CEO Jack Dorsey, have been pretty big proponents of using Vine whenever they can, given the nature of the 6-second video social network. It's an interesting approach to make an announcement and could potentially change the way company's announce products.
The reader is used on either smartphones or tablets, and became popular because of the company's association with Apple (AAPL), which offers the reader in its Apple Stores. The new readers will be in about 30,000 retail stores around the country starting next year. Businesses can also order it from Square's Web site.
Dorsey, a co-founder of Twitter (TWTR), is also rumored to be looking to take Square public. Recent transactions on the private markets have valued Square as much as $4.5 billion. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV