UBS Wealth Management Americas, a division of UBS AG, today introduced the UBS Equity Award Value Index™, a groundbreaking tool for measuring how employees perceive the value of their equity compensation. Increasingly, employees are looking at their compensation and benefits comprehensively, and the end of the year is a time for particular reflection. Equity plays a significant role in many compensation plans; therefore, understanding how participants perceive the value of those awards becomes critical to employers and employees.
The Value Index shows that 26% of participants perceive high or considerable value from their equity, with 43% perceiving minimal or no value. In addition, nearly half of all participants (47%) view their equity awards as a way to build wealth, while many (36%) view them as a paycheck supplement, and a significant portion (17%) view them as a "lottery ticket".
"The UBS Equity Award Value Index has the potential to be a compensation and benefits game-changer because it sets a benchmark for measuring perceived value," said Michael Barry, head of UBS Equity Plan Advisory Services. "Only 26% of participants from a cross-section of industries and service providers highly value their awards. There's clearly a lot of runway for our industry to show employees that equity compensation is an important way to build wealth."
The Index is based on data from a national survey of nearly 600 equity plan participants from a cross-section of companies, industries and service providers.Understanding the perceived value of equity comp In 2012, companies in the Russell 3000 Index granted their most valued employees equity awards worth more than $110 billion. Companies often grant these awards to attract and retain the best talent available. However, until now there has been no reliable market-wide index to help determine if the equity awards were having the desired effect on employees.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV