NEW YORK, Dec. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The editors at Scholastic have been publishing, curating and distributing quality and award-winning books for children for decades, and have become experts at choosing the perfect books for every child on your holiday list. Today, David Allender, Editorial Director of Scholastic Reading Club, unveils the Give the Gift of Reading Guide, showcasing the top book trends for the 2013 holiday season from Scholastic Reading Club and Book Fairs.
"The holidays are the best time to learn what your child wants in a good book," said David Allender, Editorial Director for Scholastic Reading Club. "The gift of reading is one gift your child will treasure all of his or her life." [Hear more from David Allender on our Scholastic YouTube channel: http://youtu.be/dUdXgoqZrO4.]
The Scholastic Give the Gift of Reading Guide 2013(list is not ranked in any order)
- Read Aloud Traditional Stories With a Twist – (Toddler – 2 nd Graders) Reading aloud is an ideal way to have some quality family time during the season and all year long – and it comes with great benefits for children. According to research, young children who hear more words through reading aloud have larger vocabularies than their classmates by the time they enter kindergarten. Fairy tales are the perfect read-aloud genre. Pick these attention-grabbing books that turn your favorite classics upside-down - guaranteed to be a family favorite. Holiday Picks: Cinders: A Chicken Cinderella by Jan Brett ( Putnam), The Three Little Pigs and the Somewhat Bad Wolf by Mark Teague (Orchard Books/Scholastic), and for holiday specific reads, Santa Claus and the Three Bears by Maria Modugno, illustrated by Jane Dyer and Brooke Dyer (HarperCollins) and Pete the Cat Saves Christmas created and illustrated by James Dean, story by Eric Litwin (HarperCollins).
- Get Funny to Foster Independent Reading – (Kindergarteners – 2 nd Graders) Pick books that will make kids erupt with laughter. Books that showcase humor help first-time readers equate reading with fun and enjoyment. Try these soon-to-be classics. Holiday Picks : Elephant and Piggy: I'm a Frog by Mo Willems (Hyperion), Fly Guy Presents: Sharks by Tedd Arnold (Scholastic) and Splat the Cat: Blow, Snow, Blow by Rob Scotton (HarperCollins).
- Introduce Fantasy – (3 rd - 6 th Graders) Fantasy ignites the imagination in all of us. Select books that transport a child into another world. This genre will boost reading confidence and stamina through fast-paced and compelling tales. Holiday Picks : Notebook of Doom: Day of the Night Crawlers by Troy Cummings (Scholastic) , Geronimo Stilton: Kingdom of Fantasy: The Volcano Fire by Geronimo Stilton (Scholastic) and the Special Edition Harry Potter Box Set by J.K. Rowling with artwork by Kazu Kibuishi (Scholastic).
- Choose Inspiring Underdog Stories for Tweens and Teens – (Middle School and up) Wherever you turn, these characters are everywhere! From a fun story of a middle-school aged boy facing hard-knocks, to a group of teenage gods on earth fighting evil, to a young woman living in a dystopian world, these books will be hard for your tween and teen to put down this holiday. Holiday Picks: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Hard Luck by Jeff Kinney (Abrams), The Heroes of Olympus: House of Hades by Rick Riordan (Hyperion) and, for mature teen readers (ages 12 and up), The Hunger Games: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins (Scholastic).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV