DaVita®, a division of DaVita HealthCare Partners Inc. (NYSE: DVA) and a leading provider of kidney care services, will highlight the benefits of maintaining employment for dialysis patients this week through a social media campaign spanning several platforms.
The United States Renal Data System (USRDS) shows that 50 percent of all dialysis patients are of working age, yet only one in five of those patients work. Additionally, a study showed that two out of three patients who were working in the year prior to dialysis quit their jobs within the first four months of beginning dialysis treatments, a result likely driven by outside pressure and the fear of the unknown.
But, for some patients, that isn’t the case.
“When I learned I had to go on dialysis, I was working at the time. I never even thought that I would stop working,” said Julie Spreckelmeyer, marketing and communications professional and DaVita peritoneal dialysis patient. “My goal was to keep working and to keep up my regular lifestyle.”DaVita aims to raise awareness of the benefits of continuing to work because research has shown that patients who remain employed are happier, healthier and more likely to get a kidney transplant:
- Dialysis patients who continue to work after starting treatment are 21 percent less likely to have depression (source)
- In a study measuring Patient Reported Outcomes, employed ESRD patients scored higher than those who were unemployed in many areas (source)
- Dialysis patients who maintain employment are twice as likely to get a kidney transplant (source)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV