Foreclosure Inventory Drops 31% in October
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The foreclosure inventory rate continued to drop sharply, though the current levels still remain well above normal.
The number of completed foreclosures in October dropped to 48,000, down 25.6% from the previous month and more thanr 30% from a year earlier, according to the latest report from CoreLogic.
The current pace is still more than double the foreclosure rate of 21,000 a month that prevailed prior to the bubble.
As of October 2013, 879,000 homes were in some stage of foreclosure, down 31% from 1.3 million homes a year earlier. That represents 2.2% of all homes with a mortgage and is down from 3.1% a year earlier. Still, in normal times, the foreclosure inventory rate was just about 0.6%.But the improvement in the level of distressed loans is nevertheless a sign that the housing market is healing and it bodes well for home prices. "The scourge of an elevated foreclosure inventory is easing. In October, every state posted a year-over-year decline in completed foreclosures, which is positive news," said Anand Nallathambi, president and CEO of CoreLogic in a statement. "Additionally, the rate of serious delinquencies, which fell more than 25% year over year, is at the lowest level in nearly five years, which is great news as we head into a new year."
-- Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV