The Western Union Foundation today announced its third quarter 2013 grant commitment of more than US$2.8 million, which will be distributed across 35 nonprofit, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) around the world. To date in 2013, the Western Union Foundation has announced grants totaling nearly US$5.7 million.
The grants are designed to help increase access to – and improve the quality of – education programs in multiple regions. The grant cycle provides further support for the Western Union Education for Better program, which is a three-year commitment to help grow young minds through strategic grants that focus on applied learning at the secondary education and vocational training levels.
“We continue to support NGOs that provide educational opportunities that set the framework for financial inclusion,” said Patrick Gaston, president of the Western Union Foundation. “ Education for Better provides assistance for education programs in key markets, and leverages the strength of The Western Union Company’s global network to achieve a tangible social impact on the communities and customers we serve. To date, many Western Union Agents have participated in, and contributed to, the Education for Better program, with the Western Union Foundation matching Agent contributions to support educational programs around the world.”
NGOs receiving a grant as part of the Western Union Foundation third quarter 2013 cycle include:
- Americas: A grant to Vista Del Mar Child & Family Services in California, funded in collaboration with Western Union Agent Continental Currency Services, will support the Vista School, which helps those with emotional, cognitive and/or behavioral issues develop coping skills and strategies that empower children and their families to lead self-reliant, stable and productive lives.
- Asia Pacific: OneVietnam will receive support for the continued development of the iStory program, which addresses barriers to education for women in Vietnam. The grant will also contribute to a scholarship fund that creates continuing education opportunities for girls in the country.
- Europe: Hilfswerk Austria will receive a grant, funded in conjunction with Western Union Agent Raiffeisen Bank D.D. Bosna & Hercegovina, for the Book by Book program, which assists schools and other educational institutions in procuring books for school libraries, as well as professional development training materials for teachers in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Middle East & Africa: Injaz in Morocco will receive support for the Junior Achievement “Success Skills” program, which provides experiential learning sessions in Casablanca and Rabat that focus on work-readiness and career development education.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV