ST. LOUIS, Dec. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Peabody Energy today announced that it will cease production at the Wilkie Creek Mine in Queensland's Surat Basin and close the mine by the end of 2013. Approximately 200 employees and contractors at the mine have been notified of the closure.
"We have completed our strategic review of the Wilkie Creek Mine, and we have begun the process of winding down operations," said Peabody Energy Australia President Charles Meintjes. "We thank the employees at Wilkie Creek for their hard work and dedication. We are committed to minimizing the impact of the closure on our employees, their families and the local community, and we intend to work with employees regarding redeployment to other operations where possible."
Peabody is a leading coal producer and reserve holder in Australia with 11 operations in Queensland and New South Wales. Peabody Energy is the world's largest private-sector coal company and a global leader in sustainable mining and clean coal solutions. The company serves metallurgical and thermal coal customers in more than 25 countries on six continents. For further information, go to PeabodyEnergy.com and CoalCanDoThat.com.
CONTACT: Kirsty McDonald314.342.7562(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20120724/CG44353LOGO) SOURCE Peabody Energy
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV