Another social media and networking player that's quickly moving within range of triggering a big breakout trade is Twitter ( TWTR), a global platform for public self-expression and conversation in real time. This stock is off to a flat start since it IPOed a few weeks ago, with shares up 0.9% since its debut.
If you take a look at the chart for Twitter, you'll notice that this stock recently formed a triple bottom chart pattern, with buyers stepping in to support the stock post-IPO at $40, $38.80 and $40.54 a share. Since buyers stepped in at those levels, shares of TWTR have started to soar higher with the stock trading back above $45 a share. That spike has now pushed shares of TWTR within range of triggering a big breakout trade.Traders should now look for long-biased trades in TWTR if it manages to break out above some key overhead resistance levels at $46.35 to $47 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that hits near or above its three-month average volume of 15.25 million shares. If that breakout hits soon, then TWTR will set up to re-test or possibly take out its all-time high at $50.09 a share. Any high-volume move above $50.09 will then give TWTR a chance to tag $55 to $60 a share. Traders can look to buy TWTR off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below $43 a share. One could also buy TWTR off strength once it starts to take out those breakout levels with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage from your entry point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV