3 Ways to Stay Motivated at Work This Winter
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- When the weather gets cold and dreary and it's already dark by the time you leave your office, it can be difficult to stay motivated. Although you may feel like going into hibernation between December and February, there's still work to be done and slacking can cost you. No matter how much you'd rather pull the covers over your head, winter can actually be one of the most productive times of the year -- if you follow these three simple rules:
1. Make lists and create attainable goals.
The cold weather may make you lethargic and unmotivated at work, but making a list of tasks to accomplish each day or each week can help you stay connected to your work, says Piera Palazzolo, senior vice president of marketing for Dale Carnegie Training.
"Setting small goals can also help you get things done while maintaining your productivity and momentum to keep you invested in projects at hand," Palazzolo says.Starting small is key, says Morag Barrett, CEO of SkyeTeam, an international HR and leadership development firm. "Think baby steps, not giant leaps," Barrett says. "Too often I see people create a laundry list of things to be done to achieve their goal and get overwhelmed. I have also seen people who think they should be able to 'leap buildings in a single bound' and create action steps that are simply too big for the average human to manage, and again get disillusioned." Barrett advises employees in the winter doldrums to identify one item that can be done immediately -- today -- that can move you closer to a goal, whatever that goal may be. "Do it, feel the sense of satisfaction in achieving this step, and keep doing it," she says. "Over time you will pick up momentum and successfully reach your goal." Keep in mind that your goals don't always have to be career-related to keep you motivated at work -- even having a goal of losing the extra pounds you put on over the holidays can help inspire you to wake up earlier and get more out of your day, Barrett explains.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV