NEW YORK ( LowCards.com) -- The holidays likely mean plenty of charges on your credit card, especially if -- like so many people -- you let the emotions of gift giving overcome your financial common sense.
Here are 10 credit card tips to make this an affordable holiday season and to help you avoid paying for Christmas 2013 long after the gifts are forgotten.
1. Make a budget and a shopping list. Start with what you spent last year and keep a record of all gift purchases and holiday expenses -- from postage stamps to the food for the office party. It is hard for shoppers to make a budget and easy to underestimate their spending. According to the National Retail Federation, the average holiday shopper will spend $737.95 on gifts, decorations, greeting cards and more, two% less than the $752.24 they spent last year.
2. Change your shopping habits now before you get into the spirit of the season. If you can't afford to pay off your credit card in November, you can't afford to add more to it in December.(MA) Price Protection offers this for 60 days; Citi (C) Price Rewind offers this for 30 days if the price is at least $25 lower that what you paid. You may have to register the purchase online as well as keep your store and credit card receipts as proof of purchase.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV