Having a baby on the job (not literally). Building a big old nursery. Banning work-from-home. Posing provocatively for a magazine. Hiring David Pogue away from The New York Times. Signing Katie Couric.
All big deals -- no doubt, but quite a bit of sensationalistic media fodder that will have very little, if any, impact on Yahoo!'s business.
News that broke Friday afternoon, which -- relatively speaking -- will fly under the radar, could be a harbinger for one of the biggest game changers we will see from Mayer. Yahoo! made what amounts to another acqui-hire, picking up the team behind live concert streaming platform, Evntlive.According to gigaom:
Evntlive was co-founded by former Cisco (CSCO) CTO Judy Estrin, and offered viewers a more immersive live streaming experience of concerts by letting them access multiple camera angles as well as live chats and other interactive features.I have written about various live concert streamers (e.g.: iRocke, Concert Window and LoveLive) as well as the potential for Google's (GOOG) YouTube to take control of the space. However, if this move on Evntlive foreshadows a live concert strategy at Yahoo!, look the bleep out.
Why Does It Matter?It has become commonplace to refer to live sports as the last bastion of appointment programming in television. Rogers Communications (RCI) and BCE, Inc. (BCE) best illustrate a strategy to lock up sports in Canada. In the States, the major media conglomerates continue to hold the cards even as some viewing moves online thanks, in part, to their foothold on major professional sports contracts. While not a 100%-parallel example, we can look at music -- particularly live concerts and events such as the American Music Awards or Grammys -- the same way.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV