Patricia Zapata from Kingwood, Texas was crowned the 2013
“Scotch Brand Most Gifted Wrapper”
in a national gift wrapping contest sponsored by 3M, the maker of
Tape. After wrapping various odd-shaped items, including a full-size paddle boat with a canopy, Zapata was awarded the ultimate holiday present – a $10,000 cash prize – for her amazing wraps.
Patricia Zapata a gift wrapper from Kingwood, Texas gift-wraps a full-size paddleboat with a canopy in the final round of the Scotch Brand Most Gifted Wrapper Contest on Friday, December 6, 2013 at Celsius at Bryant Park in New York City. (Photo: SCOTCH BRAND/ Ray Stubblebine)
All contest press materials, downloadable b-roll footage and contest photos will be posted as available to
About the contest:
About the first runner-up and other contestants:
- Eight finalists wrapped odd-shaped gifts in three rounds during the contest:
- Round 1: toy castle and a boxed gift
- Round 2: children’s go-kart
- Round 3: full-size paddleboat with a canopy
- The contestants were judged on two criteria: appearance of the wrapped gifts and the technique used to wrap the gifts. In the event of a tie, speed was the determining factor.
- Zapata, along with seven other gifted wrappers, was selected to participate in the contest based on a brief entry video and gift-wrapping tip that illustrated her talent and experience in the art of gift wrapping.
About the judging panel:
- The first runner-up, Melinda Cantor from Deer Park, N.Y., received a $2,500 cash prize. Cantor owns Only You Gifts in Islip, N.Y.
- The following six contestants also received smaller cash prizes:
- Mia Canada from Atlanta, Ga. of That’s a Wrap!
- Diane Henkler from Lansdale, Pa.
- Lisa Huff Kroll from Monrovia, Calif.
- Vickie Ransbottom from Dallas, Ga.
- Julia Rose from North Richland, Texas
- Esther Thiel from Chesterfield, Mo.
- The judging panel consisted of three gift wrapping experts:
- Martin Amado, bilingual home and lifestyle expert
- Erica Domesek, founder of the DIY Lifestyle brand P.S. I made this…
- Mark Ski, former producer for Martha Stewart Living
“I was particularly impressed with Zapata’s creative use of embellishments and how she applied the various colors and patterns of Scotch Expressions Tapes to make an amazing wrap,” says contest judge Erica Domesek. “Zapata’s wraps are a great example of how creative nostalgia and stylistic personalization touches can influence gift wrap trends with homemade gift wrap paper and embellishments.”