More broadly speaking, much has changed for the retail industry since 2007.
First, improved technology has now allowed for consumers to essentially shop where they want, when they want on their mobile devices and that's making specific days for shopping, like Black Friday less of the big blockbuster day it had been.
This year, we also see evidence of the flattening out of sales with more retailers extending promotions in response to the changing consumer trends.
The National Retail Federation estimates that spending during the Thanksgiving weekend fell 2.9% to $57.4 billion as consumers spent, on average, 4% less this year compared to last year.A host of big department and discount stores opened their doors on Thanksgiving and extended deals not only through Cyber Monday, but even throughout the week after. Retailers will be pulling out the Hail Mary passes to get shoppers in the door -- or to the Web site or mobile device app -- all month long. The question remains though, are shoppers already shopped out from the ongoing holiday promotions that started even before Thanksgiving? Could it be that this year's Green Monday is too close to Cyber Monday, given there are typically two weeks between the days to give consumers a reprieve before fulfilling the rest of their holiday shopping needs? BeFrugal.com's Lal says to expect to see more shoppers looking for deals and using online coupons when they make purchases on Green Monday. Even though Wal-Mart (WMT) said Walmart.com had its best dales day ever on Cyber Monday this year, the world's largest retailer is using Green Monday as another wholly separate promotional day. Wal-Mart will be offering more than 300 online specials for Green Monday, with 10 popular deals returning from Black Friday weekend, which includes five of Walmart.com's top sellers from last weekend. The five top-sellers being featured again for Green Monday include:
- LEGO Fun with Bricks Building Set, 600 pieces for $15 (a $14 savings)
- Canon Black PowerShot SX160 IS 16MP 16x Optical Zoom Digital Camera for $79 (a $90 savings)
- HP 7" Tablet Intel Atom Processor with 8GB Memory featuring Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) for $89 (a $40 savings)
- SCEPTRE X405BV-FHDR 40" LED Class 1080P HDTV with ultra slim metal brush bezel, 60Hz for $249 (a $150 savings)
- Zoomer Robot Dog with Bonus Hoodie for $79 (a $20 savings)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV