NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Now that we're past Brown Thursday, Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Giving Tuesday, next up in the list of named holiday shopping days is "Green Monday" set for Monday, Dec. 9.
Green Monday, the name coined by eBay (EBAY) in 2007 to signify its largest sales day in December, has been steadily growing to one of the biggest online retail shopping days of the month, though still behind Cyber Monday sales. Green Monday usually falls two weeks after Cyber Monday and at least 10 days before Christmas.
Last year the day topped out at $1.27 billion, up 13% from 2011 and the third heaviest online sales day for the season behind Cyber Monday and, randomly, Dec. 4, 2012, according to comScore.
"We will certainly see over $1.5 billion [in online sales] for Green Monday," says Andrew Lipsman, comScore's vice president of marketing and insights, adding that the next two weeks, all the way through Dec. 20, "will see a lot of billion-dollar days."Cyber Monday online sales set a new record of $2.29 billion, up 16% from 2012, according to the Adobe Digital Index 2013. "As consumers have embraced online shopping, more purchases have been made on Green Monday in recent years," says BeFrugal.com founder Jon Lal. "This is underscored with a move toward conducting even more holiday shopping online this year; Black Friday -- traditionally a time to be at the mall -- has become an online event in 2013." So could Green Monday surpass dollars spent on Cyber Monday? The answer is less straightforward than you would think. This year's calendar is tricky. Thanksgiving was at the end of November, eliminating six shopping days between turkey day and Christmas leaving consumers less time to shop and bringing Green Monday closer to other large shopping days.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV