Buy the Dips: This Bull Market's Not Over
From a technical standpoint, our rally isn't just holding on. It still looks very healthy:
In fact, there's still a long way for the S&P 500 to correct without violating the trend channel it's traded within all year long.
As investors history is the only context we have for where stock prices should be. And while 2013's price action has certainly been impressive, it's also been far from unprecedented. Stocks may "feel" expensive, or too fast-moving, but on a historical basis, they're not.Does that mean that 25% annual rallies are the new normal? Of course not. But the options aren't limited to massive rally or massive crash either. The last time the S&P broke above the 20% mark in a single year, investors took home 12.78% returns in the year that followed. The time before, we got 8.99% in the follow-up year. That makes a pretty good case for a strong showing in 2014. For the reasons I've talked about in the past, I think we're likely to see more sidelined retail money come online in the months ahead. This is still very much a "buy the dips" market. And so, as long as the uptrend in the S&P chart remains intact, it makes sense to continue doing just that. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV