Robinson Cano Signs Mega Deal With Seattle (Update 1)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Robinson Cano has signed a 10-year, $240 million deal with the Seattle Mariners, according to ESPN's Enrique Rojas.
Last year, Cano hit .314 for the New York Yankees, belting 27 home runs, driving in 107 runs, while finishing fifth in the Most Valuable Player award race. Cano accounted for 7.6 Wins Above Replacement (WAR), a year after having 8.5 WAR, among the best in Major League Baseball. Cano, a five-time All Star, has a life-ime average of .309, hitting 204 HRs in homer-friendly Yankee Stadium.
Cano, who is represented by Creative Artists Agency and Jay-Z's Roc-a-Fella Sports Agency, has been arguably the Yankees best and most consistent player over the past five years, amid injuries to stars such as Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Mark Teixeira, and others.
He will join a Seattle Mariners lineup that includes 1B Justin Smoak, 3B Kyle Seager and 2B Dustin Ackley, who may wind up being traded because he and Cano play the same position.
Cano had debated an offer from the New York Yankees, believed to be worth $160 million, with some reports as much as $170 million, over eight years.
--Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV