NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Friday's strong jobs report had some good news for housing.
Trulia (TRLA) chief economist Jed Kolko said in a note that the latest data shows more young adults went back to work and that job growth in the hardest-hit metro areas was starting to pick up.
Kolko looked at three data points in the monthly report to see if a) housing was helping job growth and b) if job growth was helping housing.
Residential construction employment data showed that the housing recovery is helping job growth. Employment in the category, which includes residential specialty trade contractors, grew by 8,400 in November from the previous month. In the past three months, 20,300 jobs have been created in the category. Year over year, residential construction jobs rose 5%, which outpaces the growth in overall employment of 1.7%.Of course, the recovery in construction jobs is long overdue. Kolko noted that residential construction jobs are still 37% below peak, while overall employment is 0.9% below peak. Meanwhile, it appears that more job creation could further stimulate housing. Employment among 25-34 year olds, who typically represent the first-time homebuyer, rose to 75.2% from 75% in the previous month. That is still below the pre-bubble norm of 78-80%. The high level of unemployment in this age group has led to a historically low rate of household formation, which is holding back the housing recovery. There is some relief for cities hit hard by the housing crisis. Job growth in so-called "clobbered metros" rose 1.9% in October, ahead of 1.7% nationally, according to data released Thursday. In Tampa, Fla., employment rose 3.4% in October, while Orlando, Fla., and Fort Lauderdale, Fla., saw 2.8% and 2.6% increases, respectively.
-- Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York. Follow @shavenk
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV