JACKSON, Mich., Dec. 6, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Consumers Energy is reminding Michigan residents that displaying decorative lights is a cost-effective way to create a festive atmosphere during the holiday season.
It costs about 8 cents to keep 300 icicle lights on for four hours and about 5 cents to light a Christmas tree with 200 miniature lights for four hours. At 13 cents per night, a month of holiday cheer with these indoor and outdoor decorations costs about
"Holiday lights are a tradition for many of us in Michigan, and an affordable one, too," said Michele Kirkland, Consumers Energy's vice president of energy operations. "Our Promise is to deliver the energy you need, whenever you need it, at all times of the year."
People can find additional savings with LED lights, which use more than 80 percent less electricity than standard light strings. Consumers Energy's energy efficiency program offers special pricing for LED holiday lights during December at participating Home Depot stores.
Consumers Energy estimates that approximately 6 percent of its December residential and commercial electrical load can be attributed to the holiday season. Electric demand in December increases from businesses and shopping malls, which install special lighting displays and extend shopping hours, as well as for residential holiday lights.Tips from the Michigan Fire Marshal for staying safe during the holidays include:
- Choose a fresh Christmas tree and water it frequently. Place the tree in a stand that will not tip over and keep the tree away from heat sources and exits.
- Keep burning candles away from decorations and other materials that can catch fire. Do not leave children unattended in a room with lighted candles.
- Never leave the stove unattended while cooking, and turn pot handles inward on the stove and out of children's reach.
- Make sure the fireplace flue is open before starting a fire, and never burn wrappings or a Christmas tree in the fireplace.
- Have at least one working smoke alarm on each level of your home, especially near sleeping areas.
- Always keep a fire extinguisher handy.