What to Expect for Housing in 2014
And next year, the housing market will see some fresh complications that could slow growth when it should be springing back, according to one leading economist.
The National Association of Realtors' 2014 forecast, introduced during the association's 2013 Realtors Conference & Expo, says home sales should "retain the healthy gains" seen so far this year.
Home sales last year and this year have pretty matched mirrored home values, with sales up 20% and home values up 18%.Lawrence Yun, the NAR's chief economist and historically a "glass-half-full" analyst on housing, isn't sure that growth can continue, though. He notes that while home sales and home values both show double-digit growth, income levels for people who might buy those increasingly expensive houses have checked in at a much lower rate -- between 2% and 4% in the past two years.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV