This one's a bit more obvious, but requires a basic understanding of geography.
If you're in a fairly wintry location, your local pool guy is suffering around this time of year. Nobody's calling and the costs of maintaining a business and paying bills don't go away with the warm weather.That puts such folks in a dealing mood, even if they know they're going to have to rip through a few feet of rock-solid soil to get paid. On the buyer's end, there's a distinct advantage to picking up a remaining fiberglass pool shell in the winter than waiting until the next year, when the price of materials tends to increase as manufacturers roll out new supply. Besides, getting that pool in early will not only give the landscaping around it some time to recover from the trauma you just put it through, but could turn into a nice little tax write-off for 2013 if you end up paying interest on the financing. Black Friday, but guess what? Those tools are still on sale and those pushy, sale-starved mouthbreathers who wasted their Thanksgiving night trying to get a deal on a reciprocating saw they'll never use are out of your way. Wal-Mart (WMT), Sears (SHLD), Home Depot (HD) and Lowe's (LOW) all included tools in their Black Friday circulars, but haven't been in much of a hurry to jack up their prices. Those $15 starter hex wrench kits and $500 discounts on candy-painted washer-dryer combos are still available, while saws, drills, sanders, planers and cabinet sets go for half price. You just don't have to work your way around a daylong hassle. -- Written by Jason Notte in Portland, Ore. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV